“Miracle Mile” starts conventionally enough with bashful musician (Edwards) going ga-ga over waitress (Winningham). After a pleasant if somewhat quirky day together, Edwards and Winningham plan a tete-a-tete at the all-night restaurant where the girl works. While preparing to call her on a pay phone, Edwards intercepts a frantic call from a soldier stationed at a midwestern missile silo. The message: nuclear warheads have been launched, and it’s only 70 minutes to Armageddon. This unsettling news casts severe doubts over the future of Edwards’ and Winningham’s relationship, but they manage to touch base before the big bang. This is an optimistic slant on the end of the world.
That line about “optimistic slant”, I disagree with it. There’s some good here, but humanity clearly cannot be trusted to act nicely when the end of the world is at hand. I enjoyed the film, it’s a great look into a possible end of days response. I took some notes:
- Creative insult at the front end of the movie: “backstroke in a vat of dragon piss”
- holy shit that’s Tasha Yar
- ADR was really noticable in a few scenes, like, very very noticeable
- rich asshole on the roof is a guy that’s familiar too
- the gym rat copter pilot seems familiar too
- holy shit they died in a stupid way